Analog, Power and Mixed-Signal Circuits and Embedded Systems
- Analog and Mixed-Signal Integrated Circuits : Analog/mixed-signal interfaces and (small) power management circuits, with a special emphasis on ultra-low voltage and ultra-low power, digital-intensive integrated circuits for IoT applications.
- Power Electronics: DC/DC, AC/DC and DC/AC power converters based on wide bandgap devices such as SiC and GaN power transistors.
- (Integrated) Switching Power Converters: Low EMI power conversion based on spread spectrum clocking; Advanced design methodologies for Class E and LLC resonant converters; Low-cost power-line communication methods
- Electromagnetic Compatibility of Integrated Circuits and Modules: Analysis, modeling, simulation, design and experimental characterization of ICs, SoCs, smart power ICs and System-in-Package (SiP) aimed to obtain high immunity to on-chip and off-chip disturbances as well as low-emission profile.
- Circuits, Systems and Algorithms for IoT Nodes and Data Processing: Improved compressed sensing acquisition; Implementation of ultra-low-power Analog-to-Information converters; In-memory computing; reducing hardware complexity for efficient Deep Neural Network Implementation; hardware-algorithm co-design for data streaming processing in low-energy IoT nodes (e.g. efficient streaming PCA)
- Circuits and Systems for Nanosatellites.
Antennas, electromagnetic devices, propagation and radars
- Antennas for HF to microwaves and millimeter-waves, array and reconfigurable antennas, antenna synthesis, antennas for IOT and for drones, fast antenna measurements
- Inverse-source diagnostics
- Non-canonical grid near-field to far-field transform
- Metasurface wave-guiding components and sub-systems, low-profile metasurface antennas, 3D metamaterials
- Propagation in plasmas, including shock and re-entry plasma; antennas for plasma heating and current-drive
- Propagation in exhaust plumes
- Design and analysis of radar components and systems, automotive and mm-wave radars
Big Data, Machine Learning, Neural Networks and Data Science
- Analysis of large amount of data using big data technologies
- Applications of Machine Learning methodologies for both supervised and unsupervised problems, including deep learning for image processing, and anomaly detection in time series
- Design and engineering of data science approaches to extract knowledge from data collected from internet sources
Biomedical devices and applications
- EM fields and waves for biomedical applications
- Non-invasive microwave medical diagnostics and imaging
- Brain imaging and brain-computer interface
- Thermal therapies at RF, Microwaves and optics
Communication and Computer Networks
- Design, modelling and analysis of computer and telecommunication networks, from 4G/5G wireless access networks to data center networks, from protocol performance optimizations to energy efficiency cost reduction, green networking.
- Large scale measurements and characterization of Internet, including web services, cloud computing, cybersecurity and privacy aspects.
- Traffic simulations and vehicular networks
Computational Electromagnetics (CEM) and EM simulation
- High-performance CEM
- Computation-enabled design and optimization
Electromagnetic Compatibility, Signal and Power Integrity
- modeling, simulation, data-based, statistical and machine learning for EMC prediction
- application to: ICT (high-speed electronics, analog-mixed-signal systems), IOT, transport systems (car, air/satellite, train), power systems, smart grids
Electronic devices: modeling and characterization
- Modeling and simulation of advanced devices (Si-, GaN- and III-V-based)
- Noise modelling in devices
- Process variability modelling in devices; variation-aware modelling of devices
- Full-band Monte Carlo simulation of carrier transport in semiconductor materials and devices
- Nonequilibrium Green's function description of carrier transport in highly nanostructured materials
Geo-positioning, Navigation Systems and Remote sensing
- Signal processing and applications for satellite-based geo-positioning, navigation systems and remote sensing
Mechatronics and robotics
- Advanced Control technologies and algorithms for industrial, automotive and robotic applications
- Hardware platforms, embedded systems, sensor integration and algorithms for advanced automation systems, service robotic platforms and applications
- HW and embedded implementation of Machine Learning / Artificial Intelligence algorithms for service robotic applications
- Mobile and cooperative robotics
Micro and nanotechnologies, devices, systems and applications
- Micro- and nanodevices for energy and sustainability: nanomaterials, energy harvesting, energy storage, hybrid devices, wearable electronics, graphene technologies, low-carbon technologies
- Micro- and nanobiotechnology: microfluidics, lab-on-chip, MEMS, microsensors, biosensors, organic transistors, surface functionalization, atomistic simulation, nanomaterials
- Devices & technologies for Industry 4.0: additive manufacturing, 3D printing, laser micro- and nano-machining
- Nanoelectronics: Magnetic storage and computing emerging devices. Molecular computational systems based on the field coupled principle. Molecular transistors. Computational systems based on quantum-mechanical phenomena that exploits emerging technologies (Quantum Computing).
- Nanocomputing: Unconventional computing; logic-in-memory and brain-inspired architectures based on emerging technologies. Design of CAD tools for circuit description and simulation for emerging technologies.
- Micro- and Nano-electronic systems for biomedical applications and robotics: Implementation of ultra low power smart electronic systems inspired by the concepts that regulate the functioning of the central nervous system, applied to Biomedicine and Robotics. Smart integrated systems for building innovative cell cultures platforms and Organs on Chip systems
Modeling, simulation and CAD
- reduced-order, behavioral, stochastic modeling and uncertainty quantification for passive and active systems
- first-principle, model-based and data-based approaches, machine learning, risk analysis
- analytical and numerical techniques for fields, circuits and their interaction
- applications to electrical and electronic circuits, low and high-frequency electromagnetics, field-circuit interaction, multiphysics
- nonlinear circuits and cyber-physical systems
- theoretical and numerical analysis of nonlinear circuits
- realization of machine learning algorithms via circuit analysis/design methods
- computational properties of dynamical systems with complex topologies and nonlinear phenomena.
- Complex systems, network theory and computational social sciences
Multimedia Signal Processing
- Processing, compression and communication for audio, image and video signals with applications to different domain
Optical and Wireless Digital Transmissions Systems
- Modelling, analysis, simulation, design and experimental implementation of digital transmission systems for different physical channels, with applications in ultrabroadband optical fibers, 4G/5G wireless links and space/satellite communications.
- Advanced Information Theory applied to new modulation formats, error correcting codes, equalization and synchronization techniques, MIMO and beamforming
Photonic devices and solar cells
- Development of ad-hoc numerical tools for the simulation, analysis and design of semiconductor lasers for various applications: integration of laser sources in silicon photonics integrated circuits; lasers for generation of optical frequency combs at optical communication wavelengths and in the mid-infrared and THz bands; quantum dot lasers; lasers for very broad direct modulation bandwidth
- Multiphysics modeling of vertical-cavity surface-emitting lasers
- Design of electrooptic and electroabsorption optical modulators
- Multiphysics modeling of photodetectors: design of Ge-on-Si waveguide detectors for silicon photonics; design of HgCdTe-based focal-plane arrays for the mid- and long-wavelength infrared spectrum; modelling and design of quantum-dot infrared detectors for the thermal infrared range (TIR); monolithic architectures for broadband
- Modelling, simulation and design of next-generation solar cells: multiscale and multiphysics models; nanophotonics; innovative device architectures and new concepts; radiation hardness of space solar cells
- Design, layout and characterization of silicon photonics integrated circuits
Power systems, Power converters, Electrical machines and drives
- Smart grids: power infrastructures, vehicle-to-grid and grid-to-vehicle, active distribution systems and storage
- Renewable energy systems and their integration into the grid at system level
- Power systems economics, energy systems analysis and optimization
- Design and optimization of innovative electrical machines for eMobility and more-efficient industrial applications
- Thermal analysis of electrical machines and innovative magnetic materials
- Design and control of power electronics for eMobility (inverters, battery chargers), for energy smartness (smart transformers, virtual synchronous generators, medium voltage power converters), for distributed generation and storage
- Design and optimization of wireless power transfer for transportation
- Innovative control of electrical drives: plug-in control, model predictive control, motion sensorless control, multiphase drives control
- Human exposure to electromagnetic fields
- Numerical analysis of magnetostatic and magnetodynamic fields
Radiation detectors and associated radout electronics
- Architecture, modelling and design of integrated front-end electronics for
radiation detectors, targeting high-energy physics, astrophysics and medical physics applications
- Architecture, modelling and design of compact low-power electronics for hybrid and monolithic pixel sensors for space applications
- Design of CMOS monolithic pixel detectors
Radio frequency and microwave electronics
- Design of integrated GaN and GaAs MMIC; design of high-efficiency (Doherty) power amplifiers; high-efficiency electronics for 5G systems
- Linear and nonlinear (power) characterization of RF, microwave and mm-wave transistors and amplifiers
- Nonlinear circuit stability; oscillator noise; variation-aware design
Systems, Automation and Control
- Control design for complex and nonlinear systems, data driven control design, Industrial control systems, Reinforced learning control, Model predictive Control, Control of network dynamics, Robust control, Advanced state observers, Automotive control systems, Control of mobility-on-demand and smart transportation systems.
- Static and dynamical system modeling. System identification. Estimation and Filtering. Machine learning techniques for identification and control.
- Optimization methods. Convex optimization. Randomized algorithms, Optimization for machine learning, Optimization methods and algorithms for decision problems (e.g., in finance, manufacturing, logistics, etc.).
- Aerospace control systems and applications
VLSI theory, design and applications
- VLSI for digital signal processing: Image and video applications, including remote sensing applications and video compression standards; Error correcting codes in wired and wireless communication systems.
- VLSI for Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning: Design, implementation and optimization of digital integrated architectures for artificial intelligence and machine learning applications, including neural networks and neuromorphic systems.
- VLSI for secure and cryptographic systems: integrated architectures for standard and future secure and cryptographic systems, such as post-quantum-computing cryptography.
- High-Level Synthesis for FPGA: C, C++ program analysis and synthesis for FPGA to improve speed and energy consumption
- Capacitive sensors for localization and identification: Small, low-power, long-range capacitive sensors for human body and vital signs sensing. Focus on low-noise measurement, analog front-ends and DSP, neural network on low-power FPGAs, wireless communications, electric field analysis.
- Systems-on-Chip (SoC) with Domain-Specific Accelerators and Network-on-Chip (NoC): NoC-based accelerator-rich SoCs targeting FPGA and ASIC technology (e.g. Machine Learning, biomedical imaging); high-level approaches (e.g. synthesis from high-level description, power-performance models for improved design-space exploration).
Radio frequency and microwave electronics
Radio frequency and microwave electronics
- Radio frequency and microwave electronics